Sunday, September 16, 2007

Where was the RER train?

- Travel journal: September 11, 2007 -

Wow, what a weird dream I had last night. I was back in Indonesia, my wedding with my boyfriend was in four days, and everything’s been settled without my knowledge. My brother sent out all the invitations whereas my mother and mother-in-law settled everything else. I was just told that I would have my wedding in four days. Of course I rebelled since what’s supposed to be my happy day was arranged without my knowing. What a crazy dream. I am so glad it’s just a dream. Wow.

Ok, anyway, this day started off on a strange note. I woke up a little later than I expected. I went to the metro station, and something was off. Announcements were blaring inside of the station, unfortunately I had no idea what it was about. I guessed it was either a strike (I heard it happened often in Paris), a renovation, or a construction. Anyway, the main point is that it took 35 minutes to reach the transit point (Auberg) whereas it usually took 15 – 20 minutes. As a consequence, of course I missed the RER train that would take me to Cergy.

I looked at the monitor, wanted to know when the next RER train to Cergy would arrive. To my horror, there was none. I waited for a couple of minutes and a couple of trains passed by, still none of them going to Cergy. Remembering one of my classmates advice to go to another station nearby (St. Lazarre) and catch the suburbs train if there is no RER train going to Cergy. I walked out of the station and did just that (no, I did not get lost). However, there is no suburb train going to Cergy at 9 am! Oh my.

After texting my classmate about my inability to get on RER train to Cergy, I went back to Auberg and to my relief, I saw “Cergy” written as the destination of an upcoming RER train on 9:31 am. I would be very late, but I don’t care. Long story short, I got to ESSEC at 10:15 am. But voila, I was there at ESSEC. Right after I opened the door, the teacher greeted me, “Bonjour, Mira!” and I immediately replied, “I’ll explain everything to you later.” The funny thing was that there was another person coming in later than I was (11:30 am!!). Everyday, the class starts at 9 am and ends at 12:15 pm, by the way.

After class, I got another chance to see the Lady, Tour Eiffel. I went to my friend’s apartment located only a few blocks away from Tour Eiffel, and of course I opted to walk under the gorgeous tower one more time. This time, no camera. Feast to my eyes, I tell you, feast to my eyes. Her apartment is a total eye candy, too. It’s classic but modern at the same time. Oh, and I have to mention the 100 steps we took up the spiral stair case. Her apartment is located at the top floor after all!

We drank some white wine, tried (unsuccessfully) to hook her wifi, and saw the Live feed of 9/11 Memorial at New York. I was in New York in 2005, and I saw how big Ground Zero was. Only then, I understood the magnitude of the attack. My prayers go not only to all the victims and their family members, but also all people in the world who deal with terrorist attacks almost in daily basis.

After hanging out for a few hours in her apartment and asked her permission to spend a night at her place on Thursday night, I went back home. Now, I have to prepare for my field trip tomorrow (yes, another field trip!). This time, I will go to the beautiful small villages in Normandy where the French impressionists used to live!

- to be continued... -

No comments: