Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The End of Journées Européennes du Patrimoine...and my feet.

- Travel Journal: September 16, 2007 -

I woke up very exhausted today and my legs were numb. I was also late to the 11 am mass at the church for the second time in a row. I was very ashamed and dissapointed in myself, there was no excuse about it. The mornind did not start on the right foot, in my opinion.

In addition, it was a completely wrong decision not to bring my camera to church today. Especially since right in front of the church, a flea market of antiques, furnitures, books, and questionable but cool objects just suddenly appeared. I regretted not bringing my camera, but this flea market was just too inviting. I quickly drown myself in a selection of old vases, tea pots, key chains, books, mirrors, accessories, and many others. After going around the flea market for roughly one hour (yeah, time flew by so damn fast!), I found myself buying a mirror for Sandra, a cool metal claw finger accessory (I always wanted to buy one for a long time!), and two folded spoon/fork/knife sets. I was proud of my buys since even though there were many claw finger accessory designs, the one that I chose (a hellhound) was totally cool and the only one that did not have a duplicate. I swore there was this one guy kept eyeing on my claw, waiting for me to drop it back to the pack so he could pick it up. Try your luck some other time, buddy.


My buys from the flea market


I absolutely love this hellhound!

Actually, the reason I decided to linger no longer in the flea market was I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. Apparently, I developed quite nasty blisters on my toes due to excessive walkings for the past two weeks. As a compensation, my pelvis unconciously shifted back to adjust my weight balance. However, that meant my back muscles were constracting too much and could not stand it anymore. I need to be careful next time, because my walking adventure is far from over. On the bright side, I am now weighing 58 kg (128 lbs - I weighed close to 140 lbs when I was only sitting and driving in California), a weight long forgotten since I left Indonesia in 2005. I am much slimer and fit, but I do need some endurance training. Remember how bad I am at running? Yeah...

Anyway, I rested at home a little bit and watched some Iron Chef episodes at YouTube. After a while, I forced myself to venture out a little bit more even though I did not feel my back was getting better. As a result, I half-heartedly revisited the Luxembourg Palace and Garden, seeing a street scene along the way. There were also a small art exhibition at the Petit Luxembourg by Agnès Pezeu.





But I lose my spirit along the way very quickly and decided to let it go and get some rest. After buying "An Idiot's Guide to Europe" from W.H. Stone, an English bookstore at Rue Cambon near Le Louvre, I took a train home, but when I missed a stop and got off at the wrong transfer point, I realized I shouldn't go out that afternoon after all. At the bright side though, I got a glimpse of Avenue des Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe, as shown in the picture below.


Place de La Concorde


A Glimpse of Arc de Triomphe

I finally went back home and watched some Iron Chef episodes again. Oh, I forgot to tell you that these were the JAPANESE Iron Chef, not Iron Chef America. I think the Japanese Iron Chef was much more entertaining and exciting, and Iron Chef America is not even worth comparing at the same level. Anyway, after doing laundry and updating blogs / editing pictures, I went to sleep.

P.S. : Once again, the full album for Journées Européennes du Patrimoine is here.

- to be continued... -

No comments: