Monday, September 10, 2007

The Beginning of a Nightmare

- Travel Journal: September 1, 2007 -

This time, I made sure to note the location of my hotel to prevent yesterday’s long walk home from happening again. Later on, I discovered that GoogleMap AND ratp.fr mapped my hotel at a wrong location, and I had to change it manually.

OK, so I had to go to ESSEC to get wireless internet access free of charge. I encountered some minor problems connecting, but soon I was able to figure it out and ready to surf the internet. However, as expected, when I called the landlord one more time, I did not get the room. The Seattle girl decided to have an English girl (who speaks French) as a roommate. Even though it was anticipated, I could not help but felt very disappointed and broke down crying. After all I went through these past few days, the storm does not give a sign to calm down yet. I sent some more emails to some people and attempted to drown in my misery.

Not for long, though. A French guy who apparently is not an ESSEC student unsuccessfully tried to tap into ESSEC wireless network. At first, he asked for my ID and password to log in, but I refused, reasoning that he wouldn’t be able to log in since ESSEC would only allow one log in per ID. I do not know whether that’s true or not, but we are asked to keep our ID and password private, anyway. But I couldn’t help but pity him a little, so I allowed him to use my laptop for a little bit. He gladly accepted the offer, and my laptop was on his lap while he profusely checked his emails and cursed a little bit about some things I didn’t bother to know. After 5 minutes, he thanked me and returned my laptop.

Almost immediately after that little encounter, two Russian girls that I first met during orientation yesterday appeared from the corner. One of them seemed very happy to see my fingers clicking away on my laptop. She asked if I got to connect to the ESSEC wireless network. I said yes. She almost excitedly smiled and enthusiastically asked me how I did it, since the computing center was closed and she could not get some help. After some tampering to her laptop (it’s in Russian), the problem was solved almost immediately. Another exchange student also came to us; he has the same problem. Wow, go figure.

When she finally got online, she thanked me and said that she gave up the Paris trip (the exchange students have a Paris trip for 20 Euros today – I planned to go but was too crestfallen after the apartment incident) to figure out a way to get online. Hey, mission accomplished. Unfortunately, I could not help her friend since her laptop did not have a wireless card installed. I checked on the internet and apparently her laptop model does not have wireless connection capability. I told her she needed RJ45 cable in order to get internet connection in her dorm room; unfortunately, there is no way for her laptop to enjoy the wireless internet connection on campus. Oh dear.

Well, soon we went to Cergy commercial center and went to Auchan, a big French supermarket that really reminded me a lot to Carrefour. The girls went there once before to get some groceries, so they roughly know where the items are located. The supermarket was bustling with activities, and I myself brought some croissants, breads, bananas, and milk for snacking. I would’ve taken some pictures of Auchan, but my hands were all occupied. I plan to go back here tomorrow morning, though. Anyway, during the check-out, the supermarket also has self-checkout stations for 5 items or less. I immediately went there when one’s available. The girls, who at first went to queue at the regular counter, came to me and asked if I know how to operate the counter. Of course, I said, we have similar counters in the United States. Moreover, these Auchan self-checkout counters enable change of language, so I happily change it to English. The operation was very smooth and painless, and soon the girls enjoyed the quick and painless checkout, too. We parted ways after that since I needed to get some lunch as I had not eaten anything for the last 6 hours. However, they learned about my unfortunate apartment search fate and decided to ask their friend in Paris to help. That was very, very nice of them.

So, I went to get some lunch and went back to ESSEC to once again connect to the internet and emailed some more people before going home. The last obstacle before going home was the long line at the RER station. I needed to go to the RER counter to buy the one-month public transportation pass to save money. It was rather expensive, but considering the number of times I would be traveling every day, it will definitely be worth it. Fortunately, the counter guy knew some English and was able to help me quickly, and the train came soon after I entered the station, the one-month pass at hand. After emerging from RER underground, I walked for a good 15 minutes to reach my hotel. This time, I was not lost at all, thanks to hand-drawn map. The neighborhood that I passed reminded me to uptown Chicago a little bit, but since they spoke in French, it certainly gave off a different vibe.

At the hotel, I was fortunate to meet Jonathan, one of the hotel’s receptionists who actually understand English AND can speak English pretty well. Throwing away plan A,B,C that I prepared in case I meet a non-English-speaking receptionist, I told him to extend my hotel reservation for two more nights. Once again, it was quick and painless. Lovely. I was soon back in my room and spent the rest of my evening watching some recorded anime series “Witch Hunter Robin” and quietly anticipated my journey tomorrow. Honestly though, I don't think tomorrow's going to be better..

- to be continued... -

No comments: