Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Home at Last

- Travel Journal: September 6, 2007 -

The day sluggishly started. Despite going to bed early yesterday, I woke up around 7:30 am. I had to pack my carry-on luggage and head to school, and finally I was out of the hotel by 8:40 am. School started at 9 am. Great. And did I mention there would be a quiz today? Wow. Anyway, I took a different bus this time and it took me to a stop further away from school. So I had to walk back to the direction of the school, and by the time I reached the classroom (I was also lost for a bit – the classroom assigned for the lesson changes every single day), it was already 9:15 am. Thank God the quiz had just about to start. Interestingly enough, two other students came in later than me, and they had to miss parts of the quiz. Later on, the teacher said that even though grades in France range from 0 – 20, very rarely professors give a student a perfect 20. 14 is considered very good, and 16 is an excellent grade.

Anyway, hours ticked by and by noon, I was very restless. Would I get a place to stay tonight, or do I have to check-in to another hotel? My phone rang (or should I say, vibrated) at 12:05 pm, it was from the Indonesian Student Association girl. I could not answer the call since I was in class, but I called her right after the class was over. By the way, the last 15 minutes of class were spent on history of Fountainbleau Chateau, the place where the exchange students would be visiting tomorrow. I signed up for the trip even though I did not know where I would spend the night for the next two days. The photographer side of me just could not pass this opportunity. Anyway, she said I was welcomed to come right now (well, trip from Cergy to Paris with public transportation takes about 1 hour) and the Madam would like to see me as well.

The trip to Paris took me longer than I thought; I finally reached their place around 1:45 pm. They welcomed me warmly, even apologizing to the fact that there are construction works outside and inside of the apartment. But believe me, this is nothing compared to my Uptown Chicago apartment experience. Perhaps they took my “I don’t mind” response as a sign of desperation, but even though it’s partly true, I honestly don’t think their apartment is in that bad of a state. In fact, while they gave me a quick tour of the apartment, it is a very tasteful and cozy apartment. The building itself is old, but the French lady really has a good taste and decorate the apartment beautifully. I would describe it as classic elegance.

This is the best part. After showing me what could be my room (if I want it), she said I could stay until December. She also lowered the rent cost for a bit because of the construction work. Oh my God, she really has no idea how much she helped me. That Paris area (I would not specify which one) is one of the most prestigious areas in Paris, and to stay until December for that much cost for a month is like a miracle for me. Of course I said yes, I would take her room and stay until December! Are you kidding me? Immediately, a huge burden was lifted off of my shoulder and I felt so thankful to God. I would have a Paris address for four months! How cool is that!

I could now finally see Paris for its classic beauty, unhindered with stress over housing issue. Finally, after one week, I have a place to stay! I immediately remembered a conversation I had with one of the Pepperdine alumni in Paris that called me the other day, “Don’t worry, a month from now you would look back and laugh at this experience. I underwent the same experience too as an exchange student from France, and truly, the first week was the hardest.” Amen to that, amen to that.

After having a lunch (a real lunch, not the usual water and bread that I have been surviving with for the past 5 days) with the student association girl, I went back to Cergy and took some of my belongings and returned to Paris. Of course, the International Student Office staff was very happy to hear my great news. They helped me a great deal and I am forever thankful to them, too. I told them that I know some students who are still looking for a place to live for 4 months and that I would pass whatever information I have. When I returned to Paris, I was given a key and information on how to operate the washing machine, toilet, shower, etc. I was all set to start living here for four months.

Anyway, I am not writing from the Madam’s apartment. I am now living in a cozy room with simple artistic elegance. What an amazing luck I have. I know I have a bit of misfortune, but I always know that I have tremendous luck when it comes to things that really matters. I just have to wait for the right time. All this time, I always said to myself, “It is not my time yet (to get a housing).” Now that it came true, it was an amazing feeling. I was close to giving up, but God truly never leaves me. Thank you, God.

Of course, some of my wariness remains. What if I get kicked out from the house tomorrow? What if Madam does not like me and wants me to get out ASAP? I think I have to worry about that and you will find out as I continue writing this journal, but for now, I will live in the moment. Look, I am now living in Paris, at one of the most prestigious areas of the city, and I go to a university that has excellent reputation in Europe. At this moment, I think some of you might be jealous.

Anyway, I have to go to sleep. I have a Fountainbleau Chateau trip waiting for me tomorrow morning. I really thank God that I can go to this trip without worrying where I will sleep tomorrow night. What a great, great blessings.

- to be continued... -

No comments: