Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Two Years Later: Reflection on EuroTrip 2007

I can’t believe it’s almost been two years since my adventure in Paris, Italy, and West Germany. I didn’t say anything for a while since I really had no idea what to say. Not because I don’t know what to write, but more like I don’t know where to begin to reflect on things I experienced while I was there. But now, I'll try to do it....as briefly as I possibly can.

You see, recently I read all of the travel journals I posted here. And how I am so amused on my own writings. It’s been so unreal, so magical, and so unexpected, the whole experience caught me off-guard most of the time. From the time I arrived in CDG airport until I left (and the whole airline strike ordeal I’m still too exhausted to share in detail), it’s been such a revelation to another side of the world that was unknown to me. Even now, my knowledge about it is still very humble. But I’m forever grateful to have experienced all that in this lifetime. Oh, how I have became bigger during that time.

Looking back on things, the whole EuroTrip 2007 was one of the defining moments in my life. I became stronger, my mind became richer, my heart became bigger. It’s not about the studies (there’s hardly any, to be honest with you) and probably it’s not about all the awesome places I got to visit with my new friends. It’s more about people I got to meet, the harsher experiences I got to live, the personal growth I got to have, and the spiritual revelation that God is always with me no matter what.

Even now, I still sometimes dream of that segment of life. Thinking I had to make my 8-minute trip to Carrefour or Auchan to buy some groceries. That 8:20 am Line-A train I got to catch to Cergy (where ESSEC, my school is). The amazing Le Louvre and beautiful La Tour Eiffel, both I just barely grazed at the surface. I remember all the 14 Metro lines I got to ride (at least once each), my favorite vintage clothing stores, the gorgeous countryside trips with our teachers and fellow exchange students, my trip to Germany to visit my marching band senior, and so much more.

Of course, I also remember the train thievery during my train ride from Rome to Firenze (Florence), my struggles of getting an apartment, or my frustration with the bus/train/taxi/airline strikes. But it’s OK. It’s moments like those when you realize your weaknesses. But they also remind you of your strength. I was careless; I took things too lightly and perhaps took them for granted at times. However, I was also surprised at how much faith I actually have in God, how mostly calm I was in facing all those situations, and how vulnerable life actually is.

I know I took time too leisurely at times. Time is too precious to be taken lightly. You only live once, and you have to make the fullest of this life you are living. It may sound cliché, but it’s cliché things like this that we keep forgetting even though it’s actually true. It’s easy to lay back and follow the river flow when we want to escape from reality. But please…..you, yes you, whoever’s reading this right now, I hope you continue to live your life to the fullest. Chase your dreams and make them happen. Live your life so you may not have any regrets. And may you be bigger than you are now.

No comments: